Wednesday, February 18, 2009

(Another) One Bites the Dust?

The news about Touch & Go Records has me got really down. I suppose that some news of the big bad recession "hitting home" in the indie rock world was only a matter of time. However, the fact that it's Touch & Go's production/distro division that's closing hits home in another way for me.

T&G, and the labels it's done production and distribution for have been instrumental in a cause that's close to my heart: keeping physical media alive. I could go on for hours about the joys of pulling a record off the shelf and placing on the turntable or scrolling through an iPod playlist to prepare for a broadcast is simply no comparison for standing in front of shelves of cds, pulling one off the shelf and reading the tracklist. Likewise, I could keep you at a bar until last call talking about the benefits of smaller labels and distributers in terms of getting newer talent heard.

But sometimes I think that those people who get it, get it, and those that don't...well, they don't. So I'll spare you all rants for tonight and instead focus my energies on spreading the good word of independent music on the air.

One side note before I go, I've recently become a very big fan of Carrie Brownstein's blog, Monitor Mix. Carrie in Sleater-Kinney and now blogs for NPR about music and music culture. I often find myself reading her blog and wondering why I didn't think of saying it that way. So check it out if you're looking for a good read.

No comments: