Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Bird, The Bee, and David Lee Roth




This one's been bothering me for a few weeks.

The Bird and the Bee recently released a new album, Ray Guns Are Not Just the Future, that features a song called "Diamond Dave." Now perhaps I spend too much time with hair metal fans, but my first thought at that title was that this was a song about David Lee Roth. After reading the lyrics, I'm pretty much convinced that yes, this is most definitely a song about David Lee Roth. But I haven't heard one peep from the band to that effect.

It's not that I expect an explanation from every band about the meaning of every song. I really just want confirmation that I'm correct in my assesment.

To hold us both over until I get my answer to this mystery, I was going to leave with you the Dresden Dolls music video for "Shores of California," which is a parody of the video for Diamond Dave's version of "California Girls," but it appears that they've removed it from YouTube. Alas.