Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sunday always comes too late.


There's been a lot going on since last we met. In the last 7 days I had my first news story air on WYSO, the Tumbleweed Connection in the Oregon District caught on fire, I bought a couch and Kaleidoscope got a nice nod in the press.

I also attended the Funeral Party, a Cure tribute show at the Dayton Dirt Collective. The was the second tribute show put on by the DDC. The first was a Morrissey/Smiths tribute that I was originally going to perform in, but my bandmates had some person emergencies come up so we opted out and I hosted Alpha Rhythms that night. No harm, no foul.

Even though I also had to host Alpha Rhythms during Funeral Party, being a huge Cure fan, I made it a point to stop by the show after my air-shift. I made it there for the last three bands: Cure Dealer (a made-up affair comprised of several super talents of the Dayton scene), Tin Can Telephone and Jasper the Colossal. Cure Dealer and Tin Can Telephone offered up more traditional renderings of Cure songs while Jasper the Colossal gave their tunes a slight punk treatment which was really enjoyable. It was just enough of a twist to make their set distinct while not detracting from the original songs. My favorite moment of the evening by far, however was Cure Dealer's performance of A Forest from Seventeen Seconds.

I was also surprised at how well attended the show was. In fact, it was far to say that the DDC was packed with folks of all ages. There were many familiar faces as well as many new faces. I hear that they've got more tribute shows in the works for later this spring so I'm definitely looking forward to attending more of these.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its Louie, aka DJ MisterKid. I did the Smiths/Morrissey Tribute show at the DDC, and also The Cure tribute one.

I am doing a Nine Inch Nails Tribute at Canal Street Tavern May 24th, from 8-2am. You should come. I am no longer doing tributes at the DDC this year. Next year I will though.

Please come out to the NIN tribute next Sunday. Its only five bucks for a ton of great bands from all over the Ohio area.

You can reach me on myspace atL myspace.com/DJLouieLouie69
or email: bakemixndash@yahoo.com

I am glad you like the Cure tribute show. Thanks for coming!