Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Hearts Tiny and Black

I don't even know how I originally found the article "So Your Tiny Black Heart Is Broken" on NPR's website today. Their music content has been very Valentine's heavy this week, and since tonight on Kaleidoscope I'm doing a Valentine's theme (Love found, love lost, and all that crazy stuff that happens in the middle), I decided to give it a read.

Yikes!

The articles describes the songs as being perfect for people who want to wallow in self loathing, drunk on their own misery. This raises a question that I've been pondering since earlier this afternoon: If 3 out of those 5 songs are among those I would consider adding to some kind of favorites list, what does that say about me? Yikes, indeed.

But it goes just a tad further into odd territory when I further explain that I have a poster of the Mountain Goats' album cover having above my couch. I also think Jason Molina is a genius and nearly made a fool out of myself gushing about how much I love his music when I got to meet him in Brooklyn a few years ago.

So what precisely does all of this say about me? When I first started in radio another DJ at WWSU once accused me of playing "old sad bastard music" so perhaps this hits a cord. Or perhaps the fact that I'm worried about what this says about me says a lot more than these five songs.

No comments: